is a counsel in O’Melveny's San Francisco office and a member of the Class Actions, Mass Torts, and Insurance Litigation Practice. Robert’s practice focuses on complex civil litigation, including class actions and derivative lawsuits, in both federal and state courts. In addition, Robert has experience litigating, mediating and trying complex commercial lawsuits. Robert also represents clients in adversarial proceedings in bankruptcy courts and advises clients regarding transactions involving distressed assets.
Prior to joining the firm, Robert spent two years as a litigator in the Washington, D.C. office of a national law firm where his practice focused on representing both institutional and individual clients in connection with corporate compliance and government enforcement actions concerning securities, consumer finance, and unfair trade matters.
Robert was recognized as a "Rising Star" in class action/mass torts litigation in a survey conducted by Law & Politics Media Inc. and published in San Francisco Magazine and the Northern California edition of Super Lawyers.
Illustrative Professional Experience
- Member of trial team for affiliated partnerships and companies involved in disputes concerning the accounting for and profitability of real estate development projects in Southern California.
- Represented the largest creditor (and equity holder) in Delaware bankruptcy proceeding of one of the largest land ventures in the country.
- Member of trial team that defended Ford Motor Company in multi-million member class action lawsuit brought under California’s Unfair Competition Law and other consumer protection laws that was tried for several months.
- Represented a major global designer and manufacturer of personal computers in securities derivative suits and shareholder class actions involving stock options.
- Defended homebuilder in employment action involving whistleblower and retaliation allegations. Case was resolved favorably after mediation.
- Represented a leading telecommunication market metrics provider in breach of warranty and fraud claims in connection with the acquisition of wireless market metrics measurement technology. Obtained affirmative summary judgment on misrepresentation claims.
- Represented the San Francisco Police Department as lead trial counsel in prosecution of disciplinary charges before the San Francisco Police Commission.
- Represented a major pharmaceutical company in various consumer fraud, unfair competition and products liability matters concerning the withdrawal of a prescription drug in various federal and state courts.
- Represented a medical device company in trademark, trade secret and false advertising matters in federal and state court.
City of New York Law Department, New York, N.Y.; U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Washington, D.C.Law Clerk,
Honorable Robert H. Hodges Jr., U.S. Court of Federal Claims, Washington, D.C. Author,
"Ensuring Uniformity in the Implementation of the 1997 OECD Convention on Combating Bribery of Foreign Public Officials in International Business Transactions," 33 George Washington International Law Review 97