Thomas W. Baxter
400 South Hope Street
Los Angeles, CA, 90071
400 South Hope Street
Los Angeles, CA, 90071
Eric R. Reimer
Times Square Tower
7 Times Square
New York, NY, 10036
- Related Practices
Bank of America
Beachpoint Capital Management
Black Canyon Capital
As worldwide financial markets become more complex, market players demand counseling reflecting the best blend of legal experience, market knowledge, practicality, and innovation. Our corporate finance lawyers can help assess the risks and identify the opportunities in financing and debt investing activities. Our corporate finance lawyers represent some of the largest and most sophisticated private equity firms, corporations, banks and investment funds, as borrowers and lenders, issuers and investors, in financing and debt investing transactions in the principal debt markets in the United States, Asia, and Europe. We also represent a range of borrowers and lenders in middle market leveraged acquisition and other financing transactions.
Each year, teams of O’Melveny lawyers around the globe handle multiple buy-side and sell-side acquisition transactions, leveraged finance transactions, minority investments, dividend recaps, strategic projects, and traditional recapitalizations on behalf of our clients. Our team of more than 40 seasoned lawyers across three continents has a proven track record of successfully structuring, negotiating, and closing complex financing transactions to meet those clients’ needs.
- Chambers Asia 2012 recommends O’Melveny’s Singapore practice, noting “the practice handles a raft of complicated structured financings with cross-border elements, and the firm's well-established expertise in restructuring lends the team extra muscle."
- Chambers Asia 2012 also recognizes O’Melveny’s Indonesia practice, noting the practice "is a top choice for a number of Indonesian corporate clients, fielding a versatile team which takes on capital markets, project finance, restructuring and structured finance matters. Its energy arm also offers particular expertise in oil and gas and minerals ... Clients will also greatly benefit from its recent association with Indonesian firm Tumbuan & Partners."
- Legal 500 USA 2011 recognizes O’Melveny’s corporate finance practice as “a busy and diverse practice that represents a number of active private equity and portfolio firms in the market, and benefited from the up-tick in lending and borrowing witnessed towards the end of 2010.”
- Chambers USA 2011 notes that "[t]he partners don't overcomplicate the deals - they listen to what we want and are very good at keeping us informed."
- O'Melveny won "Deal of the Year" honors from International Financial Law Review (IFLR) for its work on two private equity and securitization/structured finance transactions in 2011.
- Asset-Based Financings
- Bridge Loans
- Corporate Credit Facilities
- Distressed Debt Investing
- High Yield Bond Financings
- Investment Credit Facilities
- Letter of Credit Facilities
- Leveraged Acquisition and Recapitalization Financings
- Mezzanine Debt Financings
- Private Placements
- Senior Secured Credit Facilities
- Subordination and Intercreditor Arrangements
- Venture Debt Financing
- Workouts and Restructurings
With offices in Beijing
, Hong Kong
, and Tokyo
, we are active in financings throughout emerging Asia markets on behalf of US-based and non-US based clients. Our multicultural and multilingual approach makes us uniquely capable of fielding large and knowledgeable teams to handle a full range of financings throughout Asia. Our team brings decades of experience to complex structured finance
, distressed asset, private equity, and infrastructure transactions in the fast-growing Asia markets.
Energy and Infrastructure Finance
and infrastructure finance
lawyers represent financial institutions, investment funds, and project sponsors in complex financings. We handle a range of structures including more traditional project finance and mezzanine finance for infrastructure projects. For example, we represented Midway Investment and Development company, a consortium comprising Citi Infrastructure Investors, YVR Airport Services, and John Hancock Life Insurance Company, in its US$2.5 billion winning bid for the concession and 99-year lease to operate Chicago’s Midway Airport—a landmark transaction that marked the first attempted privatization of a major US airport. Our group also has deep experience in the power sector and is increasingly focused on renewable energy projects.
Through our market-leading Entertainment, Sports and Media
practice, we have represented both film studios and lenders in a wide variety of innovative and sophisticated entertainment financing transactions, including structured studio financings and structured film slate financing deals. Our experience in structured slate-financing deals is unmatched. For example, we represented Legendary Pictures Funding in its approx. US$1 billion recapitalization and expanded co-financing agreement with Warner Bros; The Weinstein company in its US$1.2 billion securitization to make and distribute films; Dark Castle Entertainment in its ground-breaking US$240 million structured financing; The Walt Disney Company in its multi-picture slate financing and creation of Magic Films II, LLC; and Sony Pictures Entertainment in its multiple slate co-financing deals with Relativity Media.
Our corporate finance group has long been a leader in representing lenders and investors as providers of funding in lending and debt investing transactions. Chambers Global 2008 referred to us as a “historically renowned banking powerhouse” that offers an “impressive stable of attorneys, responsive to clients’ needs.” Our lender and debt investor clients range from banks and other traditional institutional lenders in large scale cash flow and asset-based syndicated “bank market” financings to mezzanine and other specialized investment funds providing leveraged acquisition financing, making distressed debt investments and engaging in other “special situation” lending.
Private Equity Finance
We provide a full range of advice and representation on finance matters to private equity firms and their portfolio companies. We provide a “one-stop shop” for all their financing transactions, including bank market, mezzanine and high yield bond financings for leveraged acquisitions, as well as the direct financing needs of the private equity funds themselves. We also handle debt investment transactions by private equity and other investment funds
. Our acquisition financing representations range from sophisticated bank market credit facilities and multi-tranche high yield bond issuances for large scale leveraged acquisitions by major private equity sponsors to financings provided by commercial finance companies and other middle market senior and mezzanine lenders for private equity firms focused on the middle market. In all our acquisition financing transactions, we work as an integrated team with our mergers and acquisitions
lawyers on the transactions.
Bank of America, N.A.
Bank of America, N.A
The Macerich Company