David J. Impastato
is a counsel in O’Melveny’s New York office and is a member of the Corporate Finance Practice. David has extensive experience in a range of domestic and international financial and corporate transactions, including project finance, acquisition finance, transportation finance, structured finance, and restructuring. His clients include a variety of financiers, arrangers, issuers, underwriters, managers, project developers, airlines, electric utilities, trading companies, commercial banks, governmental entities including export credit agencies, and other financial institutions.
David previously was a partner in the New York, Los Angeles and Tokyo offices of a major New York law firm and served as Managing Partner of that firm’s Tokyo office.
Illustrative Professional Experience
- Represented a major private equity firm in an approximately US$500 million first- and second-lien acquisition financing, a subsequent upsizing, and then restructuring.
- Represented a major private equity firm in connection with several acquisition financings of various portfolio companies, totaling approximately US$500 million.
- Represented various Japanese banks and governmental institutions in multiple project financings and pre-export financings, in excess of US$5 billion, for mining projects in Asia and South America.
- Represented the senior lenders in the US$3.8 billion financing for the construction of the Peru LNG project, the largest direct foreign investment in Peru’s history.
- Represented various international banks as arrangers in financing a Japanese trading company’s US$500 million acquisition of power projects; and represented a Japanese bank in refinancing this transaction.
- Represented a consortium of international banks and a Japanese governmental institution in financing an approximately US$750 million copper smelter in Indonesia; and represented the lenders in refinancing this transaction.
- Represented a Japanese electric utility in its acquisition of an investment in a power project located in Mexico.
- Represented a leading aircraft manufacturer in the lease-financing of numerous aircraft to a Southeast Asian airline.
- Represented a Japanese airline and various trading companies in numerous aircraft sale and leasing transactions.
- Represented a European financial institution in the financing of 20 aircraft for a major US airline.
- Represented a hedge fund in a mezzanine financing to a charter aircraft company.
- Represented lenders in the financing and refinancing of shipping, railcar and other transportation assets.
- Represented a European financial institution as arranger of numerous CDO transactions involving approximately US$10 billion.
- Represented a major US bank as arranger of CDO transactions involving approximately US$2 billion.
- Represented certain financial institutions as collateral managers in approximately US$1 billion of CDO transactions.
- Represented a factoring company in approximately US$1 billion of true-sale securitization and receivables transactions.
- Represented a Japanese company in a proposed first-of-its-kind whole business securitization of a chain of “pachinko parlors.”
- Represented the second-lien creditors in connection with an approximately US$100 million bankruptcy exit financing.