O’Melveny’s Oil & Gas, Resources and Mining Group focuses on providing strategic business and legal counseling to natural resources-oriented clients. Encompassing all aspects of the industry, including governmental regulation, financing, exploration and production, refining, transportation, and marketing, we feature a platform that is unique in its diversity, built to help competitive oil, gas, and pipeline operators, metals, mining, and forest products companies—and the investors who finance them—capitalize on emerging opportunities and manage sector-specific regulatory, environmental, and litigation risks.
The far-reaching, multi-disciplinary composition of our team has permitted us to produce strong results for clients, whether they are addressing high-stakes environmental actions in the US, negotiating acquisitions of key assets in Southeast Asia, contemplating high-value joint ventures, or reviewing the business practices of emerging markets subsidiaries. From the acquisition and exploitation of exploration and production rights, to the sale and transport of raw materials and finished product, we blend sophisticated industry knowledge with diverse securities, environmental, regulatory, tax, and transactional law capabilities and a deep knowledge of local culture and business practices, allowing clients to pursue strategically important business initiatives with confidence.
Our results speak for themselves. The work of our Oil & Gas, Resources and Mining Group includes:
- Handling the acquisition of one of Asia’s largest mining contractors in a leveraged buyout named Deal of the Year by both Finance Asia and IFR Asia
- Representing the US Department of Energy in marketing and US$3.65 billion sale of its 78% stake in the Elk Hills Oil Field to Occidental Petroleum
- Representing Alyeska Pipeline Service Company in connection with virtually every aspect of the construction and operation of the Trans Alaska Pipeline System
- Winning an acquittal for a US mining executive in one of the largest-ever federal criminal prosecutions of alleged violations of the Clean Air Act
- Negotiating one of the first purchases of a supermajority interest in an Indonesian mining business license holder under Indonesia’s new mining laws
- Advising Asia Pulp & Paper on a deal described as the largest-ever emerging markets restructuring
For more information, visit our Business Trial and Litigation
, Capital Markets
, Corporate Finance
, Energy, Natural Resources and Environment
, Mergers & Acquisitions
, and Project and Infrastructure Finance and Development