Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
Credit Suisse Group
General Electric Company
General Mills, Inc.
International Data Group
JP Morgan Chase & Co.
Merck & Co., Inc.
Mindray Medical International Inc.
Softbank Asia Infrastructure Partners
Warburg Pincus LLC
WuXi PharmaTech Inc.
O'Melveny is recognized as one of the leading international law firms in China, with a practice covering a broad range of industries, clients, and matters. We offer a unique combination of Chinese local know-how and international law firm excellence.
We pride ourselves on the fact that our China practice operates as a single, large, integrated operation rather than as three separate offices. Client matters are staffed across offices depending on the legal skills needed for the project and our staffing availability. Our China operations are also closely integrated with China practice groups located in our United States, Japanese, and European offices. We have more than 100 professionals in our China practice, including 16 partners and a large group of talented counsel, associates, and legal consultants with diverse backgrounds and experience. Unlike many other international law firms, we have chosen to locate most of our China practice attorneys and consultants on the ground in mainland China.
Most of our lawyers in mainland China speak fluent Chinese and are experienced international lawyers, having practiced both inside and outside of China. They are either Americans or other foreign nationals who have moved to China to make their legal careers, or native Chinese who have studied law abroad and returned to China to practice. Our legal consultants are graduates from some of the finest Chinese law schools.
We have offices in Beijing, Hong Kong and Shanghai—the key commercial centers in China. Our Shanghai office, originally launched in the early 1990's, which is among the largest and oldest foreign law offices in China's most vibrant commercial center, serves clients in transactions throughout China. It is our largest office in Asia. Our Beijing office, licensed in 2002, is a substantial size and enjoys a vibrant practice. Our Hong Kong office practices Hong Kong law and US law and serves many international financial institutions, investment funds, and other clients operating in China and Southeast Asia.
Our Shanghai practice, which mirrors the Firm's broad practice and is extremely diverse for a foreign law firm in China, includes foreign direct investment, mergers and acquisitions, private equity and venture capital, banking and finance, capital markets, technology licensing, and dispute resolution. We have participated in a large number of projects in a wide range of industries and sectors, including manufacturing, technology, financial institutions, retail, energy, entertainment and media, pharmaceuticals, semiconductors, sourcing, real estate, logistics, and many others. We also represent clients in a wide range of cross-border disputes, including pre-litigation planning, arbitration, litigation supervision, and coordination of proceedings in multiple jurisdictions.
With its highly developed infrastructure, Shanghai has become the regional headquarters for an increasing number of multinational companies. Our Shanghai office represents investors acquiring and selling Chinese companies or assets, structuring complex foreign direct investment transactions, and developing innovative solutions to issues facing our clients. Our strong presence in Shanghai enables us to assemble teams of experienced legal professionals from diverse backgrounds to assist clients in due diligence projects and deploy meaningful resources to meet our clients' needs in increasingly sophisticated transactions, including private equity and venture investments, structured financings, and investments in highly regulated industries.
Shanghai is also emerging as a financial hub in China. Through our representation of banks, insurance companies, and other financial institutions, we have the know-how to assist clients with acquisitions, market entry strategies, and complicated control arrangements for minority investments in the financial sector. In addition, Shanghai is a focal point for the sale of nonperforming loan portfolios by China's asset management companies, a field in which O'Melveny has conducted groundbreaking legal work.
The Shanghai office, in conjunction with the Firm's other offices, also assists Chinese companies that have legal needs in the US, Hong Kong, and other overseas jurisdictions. This includes securities offerings and listings in the US and Hong Kong capital markets, cross-border acquisitions, US antidumping proceedings, and actions in US state or federal courts.
Our Shanghai office has five resident partners with a combined experience of nearly 40 years in China. Among the nearly 70 legal professionals in the Shanghai office, over half are graduates of the best Chinese law schools, and nearly all of the Shanghai office's legal professionals and support staff are fluent in both Mandarin Chinese and English.
- We have strong China practice connections with each of our US, Japan, and European offices, where lawyers who focus on China-related work facilitate global coverage for cross-border undertakings. Examples include our group of lawyers resident in Silicon Valley who handle corporate, IP, and securities litigation work for China-related companies, our Japanese bengoshi stationed in China to serve Japanese clients in China, and our solicitors in London who advise Chinese clients on UK and European transactions.
- We maintain a substantial library of reference books, precedents, research memoranda, legal clippings, and other materials on Chinese legal and economic developments, which we update on a continuous basis. Through our presence and contacts in China, we follow changes and developments in the regulatory and business environment that may affect our clients on a day-to-day basis.
- Our China offices regularly publish Topics in Chinese Law, which are in-depth research reports on areas of current interest in Chinese law, and The O’Melveny China Law and Policy Digest, a bulletin covering recent Chinese laws and regulations. Both publications are available to our clients, free of charge.
- Most of our lawyers are fluent in Mandarin and other Chinese dialects, and have extensive experience in the Chinese legal and business environment.
- We are skilled in the reconciliation of Western and Chinese legal concepts and the preparation of dual-language documentation required for transactions in China. We are also able to deploy teams to conduct due diligence on Chinese-language documents and to negotiate transactions in Chinese when appropriate. We have a dedicated team of professional translators who are experienced in legal terminology.
- Because we can produce Chinese- and English-language documents, both in our offices and at the negotiating site, and transmit documents throughout our network of offices, we can operate in the most remote locations throughout China efficiently and in real-time.
- Our team’s years of experience in China have produced a rich accumulation of contacts in government and legal circles throughout the country, which can be tapped to meet the needs of our clients’ business activities.
- To augment the resources of our China team, we maintain close working relationships with local law firms throughout China. These relationships enable us to provide rapid, comprehensive service and advice to our clients.
- Business Tax
We hold the leading China tax practice. Our tax lawyers consistently rank as “band 1” in the relevant rankings and the practice is well-known as one of the few capable of handling complex transactional tax matters. As one of the firm’s oldest specialty areas in China, this practice has unmatched institutional experience as well as relationships with the relevant Chinese tax authorities that rival any other firm. The core expertise of the practice is transactional, corporate, fund related, capital markets advice, and also covers the ancillary tax aspects of deal work such as benefits and other individual income tax matters. The China tax practice is often instructed by leading financial institutions to handle tax matters of first impression on live transactions as well as advocacy towards the Ministry of Finance and the State Administration of Taxation for forthcoming regulation projects. The members of the practice are often noted for their hand-on approach to achieving a given tax result in the context of fluid Chinese regulatory constraints.
- International Arbitration
We have one of the leading dispute resolution practices in China. Lawyers in our China offices serve as arbitrators and counsel under the rules of the leading international arbitration organizations and represent foreign parties in China related arbitrations, including those before the China International Economic and Trade Arbitration Commission. We represent clients in litigation before the Hong Kong courts and frequently work with local counsel in litigation before the mainland Chinese courts. We have also assisted Chinese and foreign clients in several disputes that involved simultaneous, multi-jurisdiction litigation or arbitration in China, Hong Kong, Singapore, the US, the UK and tax advantaged jurisdictions.
- Project and Infrastructure Finance and Development
We handle a large number of power plant, natural gas, alternative energy, petrochemical, logistics, and other natural resource and infrastructure projects in China. Our integrated and multi-disciplinary team handles a wide variety of matters for Chinese clients on their international investments and for international clients investing in China, including the development of liquefied natural gas receiving terminals, financing of independent power projects, mergers and acquisitions, formation of private equity funds focused on resource and infrastructure investments, dispute resolution between project sponsors and EPC contractors and all facets of fund raising, including listing natural resources and infrastructure companies on the Greater China stock exchanges. Our comprehensive one-stop and whole project / deal life cycle capability enables us to offer clients bespoke and efficient advice on all facets of energy, natural resource and infrastructure deals and transactions.
- Entertainment, Sports and Media
Leveraging our preeminent U.S. entertainment and media practice,
we advise clients with respect to the development, financing, distribution and licensing of films and television programs in China and Hong Kong, and of Chinese films and television programs abroad. We have also advised leading regional television companies with their listings and private equity financings. We have advised international entertainment companies with respect to their cinema and audio-visual product manufacturing projects in China.
- Intellectual Property and Technology
We represent a variety of high-tech and life science companies with their legal matters in China. We are familiar with the applicable regulatory regimes and the special challenges that high-tech and life science companies face in doing business in China. We are steeped in local and international IP law and we counsel clients on numerous technology transactions in China, including technology joint ventures and licensing transactions.
- Real Estate
We represent a variety of developers, financiers, investors, and managers with their real property projects in China. We have developed a particular proficiency in the acquisition of distressed real estate assets. We also represent lessors and lessees in a variety of lease contract negotiations.
O'Melveny & Myers LLP is a limited liability partnership organized and registered under the laws of the State of California. A list of the names of the partners and their professional qualifications is open to inspection at any of its offices. Our professionals in our London and Hong Kong offices practice through local entities -- O'Melveny & Myers LLP, a limited liability partnership registered in England (registered number OC307988) and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, and O'Melveny & Myers, Solicitors in Hong Kong. Unless otherwise stated, lawyers in our offices in Japan, China and Europe are not solicitors or licensed as local lawyers in the jurisdiction in which their office is located.
Plaza 66, Tower 1, 37th Floor
1266 Nanjing Road West
People's Republic of China
Local Time: 1:22 PM
Local Date: 5/23/2013