is an associate in O’Melveny’s Los Angeles Office and a member of the Securities Litigation Practice. Smita’s practice focuses on representing corporations and their officers and directors in complex commercial disputes.
Illustrative Professional Experience
- Representing a charitable institute in a case alleging breach of contract and fraud in connection with a commercial real estate lease
- Representing a national bank in over 20 state and federal cases involving mortgage-backed securities
- Representing a leading Medicare provider and health insurer in a case alleging violations of the False Claims Act
- Represented a financial services company in Attorney General lawsuits asserting violations of consumer protection laws
- Represented an insurance provider in a six-state breach of contract suit involving hospital claims submitted under the federal government's TRICARE program
- Secured the voluntary dismissal of Section (16)(b) short swing profit case on behalf of investment advisor firm
In addition, Smita has assisted pro bono clients on a variety of matters, including representing an Iraqi refugee in immigration proceedings, drafting voter guides based on new voter identification and registration laws in key states, and representing a family in foster parent adoption proceedings.
Admitted to Practice
, US District Court, Central District of California; US District Court, Northern District of California; US District Court, Northern District of Florida Law Clerk,
Honorable Ronald S.W. Lew, US District Court, Central District of California